Smart ways to use sales letters

I have used all types of media from postcards to Money Mailer Coupons to get my message out to the masses. But, out of all of the media that I’m familiar with, I believe that the simple Sales Letter is the most reliable and powerful method of selling any product or service—whether offline or online.

By the way, I have yet to see what the “thing” is that can’t be sold with a sales letter.  I believe everything can.

With this in mind, my advice is to always try to include sales letters in your marketing portfolio.

When doing direct-mail marketing, self-mailers and post cards can also be effective.  But nothing beats a true letter that is written like a letter.  It should look like a letter and be delivered like a letter in the mail.

Remember a flyer is not a sales letter.

Here are some smart ways to use Sales Letters.

1. To introduce new products to existing customers
  2. To get prospects to call you
  3. To ask for referrals
  4. To directly sell services and products
  5. To generate publicity
  6. To sell seasonal promotions
  7. To sell out last year’s product, get it off the shelves and out of the warehouse.
  8. To create direct response advertising
  9. To sell subscriptions or memberships
  10. To introduce new services to existing customers/clients
  11. To create a multi step promotion program

What are your thoughts about using sales letters?

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Smart ways to use sales letters”

1. Jan says:

Would love to get copies of your sales letter that have been effective!

@Jan,
    Hi Jan,

If you look on pages 46 to 52 in my book, How To Get Customers To Call, Buy & Beg For More, you’ll see samples of sales letters I used just in one of my companies to get referrals. These brought in clients for us consistently.

2. Nate says:

How do you deliver the Sales Letter’s? Don’t these things normally get thrown away right away (without the customer even opening envelope) if sent via snail mail? I have seen that happen many times. It might seem that a post card would be more effective in that effect. But maybe there’s another way.??
    Thank you.

@Nate,
    Hi Nate,

Yes, the letter can be thrown away. That’s why I said in the 4th paragraph of the article that the letter should look like a letter and not a sales piece. Another way to approach using the sales letter is to have a powerful teaser on the outside of the envelope that compels the reader to open the letter. But the most part of the process is warming up your target market before you try to sell them.

So for instance, you can use postcards to offer something for free and start building a list of prospects and to start building a relationship. Then once you have established trust, you use the sales letter to make the sale. The sales letter gives you enough room to make your point, more than a post card or any other device can.

3. Johan says:

I’m just about to do a mailing with a flyer. My idea was to have a nice professionally printed flyer and in the same envelop a selfprinted personalized sales-letter with a call-for-action. In this way I can send the same flyer to different public -in our case private families on one side, business-people on the other side to visit our restaurant and buy from our catering. I’m looking forward to the outcome.

@Johan,
    Hi Johan,

Call for action in any sales letter is a key component. I would also suggest that you address their emotions and fears of using a caterer. If I might make a suggestion, create a free report for them to request. Something like: The 3 questions you must know to ask before you hire a caterer. Just an example. Let me know how it goes.

4. Liam says:

Mr. Varga,

What did you do to in order to become such a great writer of effective sales letters?

Thanks,
    Liam

@Liam,
    Hi Liam,

I don’t consider myself a great copywriter. Great copywriters were people like Robert Collier, Eugene Schwartz, Gary Halbert and, currently, John Carlton. But like everything else, if you want to become a great copywriter, the best thing to do is find someone who is great at it, learn from them, and practice, practice, practice.

It took me many years and I’m still tweaking everything I create. But always remember to keep testing against your existing sales piece to see if the new one will out-pull the old one. The unfortunate thing is that I’ve seen so many business owners change a successful ad or sales letter because they got tired of it…even when it was highly successful. The last time I did a Coaching Program, I took over 12 hours in teaching individuals on how to create an effective sales letter.

5. Anthony says:

Ken

Do you like to keep your sales letters to one page? Or do you think a 3 page letter can be affective?

@Anthony,
    Hi Anthony,the letter should be only as long as it needs to be to state your offer and address the objections…no longer, or no shorter. Of course, the shorter the better, since people are more likely to read a shorter letter than a longer one. However, they will read a longer letter if the letter is interesting and engages them.

6. bruce says:

I agree, the posted sales letter is making a comeback v e-mail or online ad.
    I think it works best with a telephone follow up and a ‘grabber’ – for which thanks for the idea. I’m planning a campaign for later in June and will let you know the outcome.

@bruce,
    Hi Bruce, the more media and modalities you can involve in the sales process, the better results you tend to get. So adding the telephone and the grabber should work well. I look forward to hearing how your campaign goes.

7. Excellent weblog here! Additionally your web site lots up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink in your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

8. Thanks , I have just been looking for info about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now. However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the source?|What i don’t realize is in truth how you are now not really a lot more well-preferred than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

9. Monatur says:

We wish to thank you once again for the wonderful ideas you offered Janet when preparing a post-graduate research and, most importantly, with regard to providing each of the ideas in one blog post. If we had been aware of your website a year ago, we may have been saved the nonessential measures we were having to take. Thanks to you.

10. By my notice, shopping for electronic devices online may be easily expensive, although there are some tricks and tips that you can use to help you get the best offers. There are always ways to locate discount offers that could make one to come across the best gadgets products at the smallest prices. Great blog post.

11. So sorry you’ll miss the workshop!

12. Diane says:

Good Evening Sir, When do we use sales letter?

13. thanhnhan says: