Make Doing Business With Your Company Fun…

It always surprises me that most companies never put themselves in their customers’ or prospects’ position.   I say this because I see so many companies that make doing business with them so hard.

For example, if someone calls your company and a telephone operator is their first contact, can that operator make a compelling response to the prospect or customer’s request?

When people come into your place of business, how well versed are your sales clerks?  How much time have you spent in preparing dialogues, questions, and advice for your people to use in interacting with your customers?

How easy is it to find things in your place of business?

How much do you take your customers and prospects for granted?

By merely stepping outside your office and pretending like you are a prospect or customer, you should see a lot of the flaws in your operation.  Like the TV program, “Undercover Boss.”

Remember that once they are taken care of and remedied, you can dramatically improve your current and repeat business potential.

You should make sure that your place of business is inviting, informative, non-threatening, easy, educational and fun to do business with.  When this happens you will leave your competition in the dust.

Here’s a list of to do’s:

1. Educate your customers. You cannot educate too much.

2. Inform them.  Let them know what you are up to.

3. Make calling or coming in to your business desirable.

4. Make ordering easy.

5. Over deliver in your service.

I’ve always said, “Inspect what you expect.”   I always called my own offices to make sure the phones were answered the way I wanted them to be answered.  Have you done the same?

Have you called your own restaurant to make reservations and listened to the way your staff answered the phone and responded to you?  Try it sometimes.

When you make the corrections you will see a remarkable difference in the growth of your business.

Let me know what you think.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Make Doing Business With Your Company Fun…”

1. Dimitar says:

Thank you Ken. Your inputs are beneficiary, as always.

@Dimitar,
    Thanks Dimitar. You are welcome!

2. Ken,

I own an advertising agency and a web-based software company. My agency is a real customer of the software, an insider’s insight of extreme value. But, if you don’t have the ability to be a real customer for your products/services, pretending to be a customer is the next best thing, as you can’t fix what you don’t know is broken.

@Mary Jo Van Horn,

Hi Mary Jo, you are right! Being an actual customer gives you great insight into the product. The only thing better than that is to watch other customers actually using the product. With that you’ll gain even more insight. Short of being a customer or observing actual customers using it(which is where most businesses find themselves) the next best thing is to put yourself in the customer’s place (pretend).

3. Tom Larsen says:

I refuse to use voicemail for my insurance agency, as I want real people answering the phones and by the 3rd ring. Nothing is more annoying than press 3, press 5, press 1 systems!

Live people, who answer with their 1st name and by the 3rd ring!

@Tom Larsen,
    Hi Tom, a competent, well-trained person answering the phone will win out over any technological solution to interfacing with clients, especially over ones like you mentioned above.

4. Ken,
    I have friends call my business and talk to our office staff and then order our services.

They talk to my techs in the field and ask lots of questions that I give them to make sure my techs and office staff are professional and knowledgeable.

I’ve also done this for other friends who own restaurants and bars to see if their staff is doing as trained and look for thiefs.

You’re right on about the effectiveness of these techniques. They certainly improve the customers overall experience and my bottom line.

Brian Hegarty
    A+ Powerwashing and Roof Cleaning

@Brian Hegarty,
    Hi Brian, I’m glad you are experiencing the effectiveness of those techniques. It gets back to what I was saying: “Inspect what you expect.”

5. Marla Hughes says:

Excellent advice. I’m in the end stages of starting a cleaning business, so how I/we handle the phone is vital.
    Any calls during ‘office’ hours are answered as a business, even though it’s our home phone for now.

@Marla Hughes,

Hi Maria, that’s a smart interim step.

6. Ken Varga says:

Hi Maria, that’s a smart interim step.

7. Kulendra Goswami says:

hello sir. thanks for ur valuable informations. i have just completed my graduation and have started a advertising agency on transit media. your lessons are making me confident.

@Kulendra Goswami,
    Hi Kulendra, glad I can help. Best of luck to you.

8. Yasir Hashmi says:

I think now this is the time to realize that “How consumer Wants” Despite of thinking about the obsolete thinking that What Consumer wants.

@Yasir Hashmi,
    Yasir, good point. Actually, the two go together: it’s “what the consumer wants” and “HOW” does s/he want it. Consumers are seeking a particular experience along with their purchase. Most products/services that consumers purchase are commodities in their eyes. What makes the difference is the buying experience.

9. Tanya Gagnon says:

Great post. I always wondered what “Undercover Boss” would say about my business. It is so hard to look at your business through the eyes of your client. I am involved with brand experience design and find it so hard to design for our company because of how close we are. I think your suggestions are right on. Thanks

@Tanya Gagnon,
    Tanya, that’s right. We are like fish in water when it comes to our businesses. It’s hard to have the external perspective. That’s how the “inspect what you expect” technique I talk about in the article above helps.

10. füssen says:

I got what you intend,bookmarked, very nice internet site.

11. Awesome post. There’s lots of good info here, though I want tell you one thing – I am utilizing Mac OS X using the newest beta of Opera, the look and feel of your website is sort of quirky for me. I can understand the post, however the navigation doesn’t operate so good for me.

12. gorgeous clothes3br /love your clutch!