A Secret To Get Customers To Buy

Whenever you ask for a sale, run an ad, or have a salesperson make a proposition to a customer or prospect, always tell the customer or prospect the reason why.

If you have a product or service that you can offer at a lower price than your competitor, tell the customer/prospect the reason why.  It could be because you have lower overhead or you purchase in volume.

If your price is high, tell your customer or prospect why.  You could have a far superior product than the competition. Your product could be made with better materials, or your product could last or perform ten times longer than your competitors.

It could also be three times as durable or with three times the personal stitching of similar products.

If the price of your package gives an especially appealing value, tell them why you are making the offer to them.  It could be because they are ordering from you for the first time and you want to reward them for becoming your customer, or because it’s an exclusive offer to first-time customers.

Whenever any business owner needs quick profit, I tell them to say something like: “I’m overstocked with goods and I need to get my capital out of slower moving inventory, so I’m able and willing to sell you this product this one time only at an actual loss—far less, in fact, than what any other company could or would offer this product or service for.”

Always tell the “Reason Why”.  Why should they patronize you instead of your competitors?  Tell me what you are doing, will do, or will avoid doing that makes favoring your business better for me than dealing with your competition.

Tell the customer/prospect all the reasons why.  I’ve just listed a few, but if you keep your mind on it, you can come up with many, many more.

The more factual, believable, credible and plausible the reasons you give your customers/prospects for dealing with your business, the more compelled they will be to favor you with their business.

Let me know what you think.

Technorati Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “A Secret To Get Customers To Buy”

1. Traditionally we have a 3 month drop in sales during the summer. i have been tracking it for 6 years and it’s like clock work.
    If I were to run a summer sale I think people would buy but i wonder if they would eventually hold off buying during the rest of the year and wait for summer. I’m thinking I will try a sale for next month. Should it run the entire month or just until I hit my target number.

@Thom Miecznikowski,
    Thom, you don’t want to be predictable in your sales. You want to have different reasons for your sales, and you want to have different time frames. And all sales should be run for a limited time. One month for a sale is too long; it doesn’t create any urgency for people to come in. I recommend not having a sale run for longer than 3 days. Then 2 or 3 weeks later you can run another. Just make sure to have good reasons, like, celebrating your wedding anniversary, or 4th of July,etc.

2. Sara Harper says:

Thanks for the great insight Ken!
    Cheers,
    Sara

@Sara Harper,
    Sara, you are welcome!

3. Ken,
    The food service business is loaded with frozen beverage bar products and I have started launching a shelf-stable quality product. Your tip as to “why” ours is better is great and I have started making my list.
    Thanks
    Don

@Don Vandenburgh,
    Don, you are welcome! Let me know how it goes.

4. Melissa says:

Wish I’d read your blog 2 minutes ago – I have just sent out an email with a quote and I can clearly see now that putting in the ‘why’ could have made a big difference!

@Melissa,
    Melissa, next time you’ll know and you’ll get a better result. Best wishes.

5. Marla Hughes says:

Great points.
    In addition,in my opinion, the why should include the client’s need or it’s not going to work. Why will your product satisfy my need is a good question to ask yourself when setting up a proposal or sending out an email.

@Marla Hughes,
    Maria, you re right! The article is assuming that you have already done the basics of getting the customers’ attention, building desire and making a case for how the product or service benefits them. This “why” is to “seal the deal” by closing any gap in credibility of why you are having the sale. People are suspicious. Telling “why” removes those suspicions and allows the sale to happen.

6. Steven Tseng says:

Hi Ken,
    Great points.
    make customer get more profite, I take it as a basic to creat different types of way to increase my business, such as prmotion, consolidate sell with a discount, etc. which makes us very different than others.

@Steven Tseng,
    Steven, do you tell them “why” you are doing the promotions, giving the discounts, etc.? When you do, you will generate more sales.

7. John McMillan says:

Hi Ken…I am a beginning insurance agent. i have enjoyed your insight about selling insurance..

I have worked for a supplemental coverage company and found it difficult to close…I then went to Farmers Insurance because i wanted to be able to help whatever clients i had by listening and then figuring what they needed…

I still have trouble closing…Please help…

@John McMillan,
    John, I’ve sent you a private email at your yahoo address.

8. Karess says:

It’s great to read something that’s both enjoyable and provides pargimatsdc solutions.