A Method To Collect Information To Create Your Customer Database!

A method to collect information to create your customer data base.

When I published my book, “How to Get Customers to Call, Buy and Beg for More” I needed a way to know who bought it.  Normally, book authors don’t care.  But, because I realized that building a customer data base was essential, I needed a method to get whoever purchased my book to give me their contact information. Since I wanted to be able to communicate with them after they purchased and read my book, it was essential that I collect this data.

The information I wanted them to give me was their name, address, city, state, phone number, fax number, and also their email address.

By the way, before I continue, I wanted to mention that I get most of my great ideas while walking on my Treadmill.  Originally, I would have a pad of paper with a pen on the rim of the Treadmill.  Unfortunately, when I wanted to rewrite my notes and put it in my “Things to Do Folder”, most of the time I couldn’t read my own handwriting, because I was walking at a fast pace and trying to write at the same time.

I solved this problem by installing a Recorder in my ceiling, over the Treadmill, with the microphone hanging from it.  It really worked out well.  Now I just take the cassette out and rewrite my notes. If you also get your greatest ideas while exercising, try this idea.  If you exercise outdoors, get a small recorder that you can put on your arm, or in a pocket.

Anyway, here’s what I came up with to solve the problem I was thinking about.

I created a reply card, which was attached after the last page of my book, offering a free gift.

CLICK HERE to see what the reply card looked like.

You can use the same concept with a handout to your customers, offering them a free gift if they complete the information card.

Some of the additional information you should gather is birth date, anniversary date if married, and also birth date and name of the spouse.  This way you can communicate with them on these special days.  You probably will be the only one that is doing so.  Therefore your business will stand out in their minds.

Technorati Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “A Method To Collect Information To Create Your Customer Database!”

1. William says:

This post was really excellent. I am really learning a lot from your blog. I am in direct sales and without customers I don’t have a business.

I think I am going to write a report and create a card to mail to other potential clients, gather there information like in the example so I can be more personable in my communications. Thanks

2. [...] Create Data Base of your clients.  You need all pertinent data like name, address, email, spouse’s name, birthday for them and their spouse, and whatever data you need.  I would also get the data of every family member.  http://www.kenvarga.com/news/a-method-to-collect-information-to-create-your-customer-database/ [...]

3. James says:

Dear Ken,

Interested to know if you use or recommend any particular Customer Mangaement System, or program to alert you to when an ‘special day’ is approaching.

I have just been brought in to a small business who provide fitness retreats / holidays in Spain, and we have found many clients are looking for gifts for spouses. However using a spreadsheet can be trouble some.

Thanks J

Valerie Reply:

@James, there are software programs that are called Customer Relationship Manager. (CRM) A good one is http://www.zoho.com/crm/

If you need help with entering your information, I would love to take on this project for you.

Val

@James,
    Hi James, depending on the size of your database, how many things you want to track, what type of follow-up you want to do and how often, you can start off with a desktop program like Act (www.act.com), or you can look at online programs like SalesForce.com or Zoho.com (www.zoho.com). Many business owners I know are using InfusionSoft (www.infusionsoft.com). However, Infusionsoft is a robust program and more pricey than the others I just mentioned. I would suggest that you first make a list of all the things you must have in a program for it to serve you well. Then also make a “would-be-nice” to have list. Then compare the programs listed above to your lists and choose accordingly.

Sean Fiske Reply:

@Ken Varga, @James,

You can check out SlingPlan.COM as a web based alternate to any of the others. It’s a breeze to use, and has alot of robust features.

Sean Fiske
    CEO SlingPlan.COM

@Sean Fiske,
    Sean, thanks for your input.

4. Jeff Kendall says:

I would also be interested in a good contact management system as well. Good stuff Ken, keep up the good work.

Valerie Reply:

@Jeff Kendall, Hi Jeff, I just replied to the above. Just google for contact managers database or just simply CRMs. You can choose what is best for your biz. They all basically have the features where it will let you know whose birthdate is coming, your next meeting etc. Enjoy!

5. Andrew Fluhr says:

Good
    I need more business strategies while speaking to clients kindly provide me such like.

@Andrew Fluhr,
    Andrew, check out my blog article here: http://www.kenvarga.com/news/the-law-of-reciprocity-and-network-meetings/ That article would be a good start for you.

6. Mark says:

This is a really great post. I’ve only just discovered Ken and so far the material I’ve read is top notch. One question – when you collect all the information for your database, what email service do you use? As you need to do manual input of emails…

Thanks in advance

@Mark,
    Hi Mark,
    I use two services at this time. I use both Constant Contact and AWeber.

7. Carol McEwan says:

I have read through most of this blog, and many of the great suggestions and I wanted to let you all know about the best “Relationship Marketing Tool” I have ever used, Send Out Cards. This is an amazing tool that comes with a very comprehensive contact management system built in. You log on to Send Out Cards, create a greeting card, and that’s it. Send Out Cards prints it, stuffs it, stamps it and mails it for you. (It is a real printed card, not an ECard!) And all for a fraction of the cost of sending a store bought greeting card. You can check it out and send a free greeting card by going to my website, or just give me a call. I would love to show it to you.

@Carol McEwan,
    Yes Carol, Send Out Cards is an excellent way to send out thank-you cards, birthday cards, etc. to build relationships. I talked about this in and earlier blog post at: http://www.kenvarga.com/news/building-a-relationship-with-cards/

8. Great article Ken!Thought this might be usful to the previous reader, Mark: I use the ACT database for both of my companies.Act has the opportunity to send out e-mails and newsletters in bulk similar to Aweber and Constant Contact. The advantage is that your CRM is always current and you don’t have to upload to another site.

9. For those of you that want specific reports and information tracking utilizing FileMaker as the database engine is a real easy way to store and analyze your data. FileMaker is used by many Schools, Not for Profits, and the government. Real easy to learn how to create great solutions quickly or simply use the free templates that come with the software. You can view my profile on LinkedIN at http://www.linkedin.com/in/mjgilman

10. David Kline says:

If you are looking for a web-based solution to managing your contacts and client interactions look to AgencyBloc. It is a CRM and commission system designed specifically for health and life agencies. Take a tour and a 30 day free trial offer. We will import your electronic database at no cost so you can see how it works with your own client files. Go to AgencyBloc.com.

11. data base creation says:

hi
    i have problems,that which step I start to make database first?
    please send information
    thanks

@data base creation,

To create a data base, first decide what information you want to capture–name, email, etc. Then decide on a method to collect that information. Then put all the information in a data base system like ACT, Zoho, etc.

12. What are you doing to acquire totally free prospects?

13. CooL Site says:

This might be a very great source that you just are really offering and also you wait gone for gratis. I like viewing web sites that comprehend the price in providing a top quality reserve totally free. The?s the outdated exactly what goes all-around surfaces all-around practice.

14. Mike Leake says:

Great post…yes there are many CRM tools out there. One thing I didn’t see anybody touch on was the measuring and reporting of your campaigns. @Ken, I love the card and I guess you know how many books were sold and can figure out the response rate. Have you tested a slightly oversized postcard that is not attached in the book? Just a thought… As a restaurant owner, my choice of programs is Profitmax. It allows you to create both direct and email campaigns, measure, track and report all in ome. There is a bit of a learning curve but the customer service is top notch. If anybody would like more info, feel free to contact me at mike@wanderinnbaldwin.com

15. You have made some really good points there. I checked on the net to find out more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website.

16. Cindi Serafini says:

I have one, but it was only after heavy b-tching from family that I signed up. My mom’s account has been broken into three different times(she has set up a different account after each time) and I don’t want to deal with that, so I have minimal info and never log on. which is kind of pointless..Report this comment as spam or abuse

17. Scammers says:

.. just after i read through the full write-up i have to mention – Oh Jesus, with the present situations shaking on us, dont we definitely have some thing more significant which ought to be in our brain then “A Method To Collect Information To Create Your Customer Database | Ken Varga News” and several other crap including Smut Movies which my brother in law is viewing a lot of the time? – Very seriously in the Pre Bush Era, the world was still a lot more livable for all of us. Why dont you getaway from all this unproductive distraction rubbish and aim on issues which really makes a difference for all of us those days. Please get started reading some alternative news media like infiniteunknown.net or naturalnews.com – they have the news, the well known mass media helps to keep away from us.

18. Monkeycrm says:

It’s the integration of CRM software. Monkey CRM is one among the best CRM software solutions that act as the best medium through which businesses can easily to collect and manage all sorts of their customer details at one centric place. Thus, what are you waiting for? Try it once!