9 Of My Best Tips To Grow Your Small Business On A Budget

The following 9 ideas have helped me and will help you grow your business on a limited budget when you apply them.

1. If you don’t have a journal, I would suggest that you purchase one at your local Staples.  If not grab a sheet of paper.  It doesn’t matter what your business is, write down this question at the top of a sheet: ”How can I personally make my clients’ lives better?”

This is a very powerful question.  Think about it.   How many companies you know of, both offline or online, apply this model?

Most of them are out to get the sale and then move on to the next “prospect.”  Can you imagine how effective they could be if they actually considered how they could help your life be better.

For instance, I spend a lot on educational material for my grandchildren, and I never hear from the businesses after I make my purchases.  If they remembered the above quote and thought about how they could help me and my grandchildren have a better life, they would realize that they could offer me products to help us, and probably offer them on a monthly basis.

I’m sure you’ve experienced this at some point in your life.  Think about how this applies to your business and what you can do.

2. Create your Stadium Pitch.  Someone once told me, “What would you say to a group of 50,000 people if they were in a stadium and you had 30-60 seconds to convince them about your offering?” How can you get your point across so convincingly that they would feel like idiots to say “no”?

Plus, consider the fact that any one of them can leave at anytime during your pitch.  Would your message change?  What can you say to make them stay?  What can you say to make them buy?  Some call this an elevator speech.

Keep refining your stadium pitch (elevator pitch).  A great one can help you generate many new customers on a limited marketing budget.

3. Look for valuable lessons in everything that you do, hear, or experience.  No matter if what you are doing fails or succeeds, write down what you learned from it in your journal.

Every person you meet, every person you listen to, has a lesson you can learn.  I try to teach with each blog and marketing tip I create. ..just for you.  But the lessons you learn from them are up to you; the insights you gain are up to you.  Whatever the lessons/insights are, write them down in your journal before you forget.

I carry my journal with me always.

With a large repository of ideas it’s easier for you to find ones that readily meet your budget.

4. Read your” Lesson Journal”.  Find out what lessons you can apply today to your next project or problem.  Then do it.  Find a way to apply and use that lesson today.  Now record your results.

As you consistently apply ideas and track the results, you will produce bigger and bigger results with whatever money you have budgeted.

5. Referrals are one of the most important tools you can use to grow your business.  There are probably hundreds of ways to generate referrals.  Two of them are: pay for them per lead; bribe people in a fun way.

If you haven’t done your job on making your clients happy, you shouldn’t ask for a referral. The key is to start writing down the ideas you get, and then start doing them.

Referrals are the least expensive way to grow your business on a budget.

6. Barter. Learn how to barter.

Attend your local networking events, look around at the people you work with that need what you have to offer and you need what they have to offer.  What types of products or services do they need to make their lives easier?  Where can you find those products or services?  Apply this principle to people you want to work with and by helping them they will help you.

Bartering allows you to grow with a minimum of cash outlay.

7. Dare to do what no one else does.

Giving yourself permission to do what hasn’t been done before allows you to find new inexpensive ways to grow.

8. Ask what you don’t want in life and in business. Then decide what you do want (What you want is the opposite of what you don’t want).

Knowing what you want shortens the journey to getting there, and therefore also lessens the expense.

9. Get rid of the “box”.  Forget about inside or outside the box thinking.  Don’t put parameters around your thinking.

This is a variation of no. 7 above.  By removing parameters from your thinking, creative ways to use your budget open up.

The key in all of this is to be systematic and consistent.  By systematically and consistently applying these ideas, you are sure to see compounded results.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “9 Of My Best Tips To Grow Your Small Business On A Budget”

1. Bhudeb Das says:

Dear Ken,

I could not locate your article titled “How to get Customers to Call, Buy & Beg for more”.

Can you please give me the link?

jay Reply:

@Bhudeb Das,
    hey!! ive found some helpful article on growing your business fast!

2. Ken Varga says:

Hi Bhudeb,
    It’s a book; not an article. You can find it here: http://kenvarga.com/products.html

If you have any other questions, let me know.

3. Johann says:

What superb piece of text! No idea how you came up with this report..it’d take me weeks. Well worth it though, I’d assume. Have you considered selling banners on your website?

4. Terrific post.Thanks a lot Again. A great deal obliged. astra mining

5. Iˇ¦m not sure the place you are getting your info, but good topic. I must spend a while learning much more or figuring out more. Thank you for great info I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

jay Reply:

@David Domincki, hey!! ive found some helpful article on growing your business fast!

6. I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one today..

7. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some nice methods and we are looking to swap solutions with other folks, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.

8. Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Cheers

9. Tony Smith says:

Thank you so much for great post.I think every small business owner must read this for increasing their online presence & growing their business.

jay Reply:

@Tony Smith,
    hey!! ive found some helpful article on growing your business fast!

10. Martin says:

Getting your business’ name out there through advertising can help significant in your growth strategy. http://www.adzura.com can assist in finding the right ad spaces and at the right price.

11. mr ali says:

i have just started a indian business,there are a lot of takeaway in the area,its a small business,how can iy make it grow.

jay Reply:

@mr ali,
    hey!! ive found some helpful article on growing your business fast!

12. I think a great tip is for SME’s to take advantage of R&D tax relief . SMEs actually benefit from an enhanced rate of R&D tax credit compared to larger business. Following the changes, cash repayments of up to 33% of qualifying R&D expenditure can now be claimed by loss-making SMEs, which feed through to the current financial year, allowing companies to instantly boost their profits, while those in profit can claim up a tax credit of 46% on qualifying expenses.

13. […] the subject of recommendations, Ken Varga penned a great article on how to grow a small business on a budget. Many of these tips ring true, including this one: […]

14. I run a small office fruit delivery service here in Vancouver and its great to read such excellent business growth tips and some excellent comments. http://www.Fruitfulloffices.ca

jay Reply:

@Bryan Wyndotte,
    hey!! ive found some helpful article on growing your business fast!

15. lilymatheww says:

Nice Post all the listed tips are amazing. I am also the owner of a business. I have my own online company. We provide business advices like how you can grow your business, We provide a platform to starters to start their business, we also provide jobs. I will definitely follow these tips and help others. Thank You for the post.

16. Sarah Salvo says:

Growing your business also means growing your professional network by creating more meaningful relationships. Here’s a little bit on how to do that: http://blog.prialto.com/is-empathy-the-next-growth-hack

17. Olivia says:

Fantastic article! We are working on growing our business with new customers. Thank you for sharing this useful information with us.

Cheers !!

jay Reply:

@Olivia,
    hey!! ive found some helpful article on growing your business fast!

18. Mike Jones says:

Awesome! These tips can certainly help me with my small business promotion. I was looking to read such article from long time.

jay Reply:

@Mike Jones,
    hey!! ive found some helpful article on growing your business fast!

19. […] what you have to offer and you need what they have to offer,” advises businessman and author, Ken Varga on his website, “What types of products or services do they need to make their lives easier? […]

20. […] what can happen when you dream big. “Get rid of the ‘box’,” insists businessman and author Ken Varga on his website, “Forget about inside or outside the box thinking. Don’t put parameters around […]

21. […] If you are working to get your small business off of the ground, there are some tips that can help you to increase your success. […]

22. Lisa Falcone says:

Very insightful and solid advice!

-Lisa, the Strategic Business Growth Hacker >> http://bit.ly/2jAKOuD

23. thanhnhan says:

Great experiences. Please share more, thank you!