5 Tips For Making Your Customers/Clients Actually Feel Valued

Every business owner and entrepreneur, knows that if they want to attract and retain more loyal customers, they need to provide high-quality customer service.

Today, the successful ones focus heavily on communicating how valuable their customers are to the company.

But the real question is—do they really value their customer?

Each of us, at some point, has experienced a company telling us that we are a valued customer.  Yet we didn’t feel valued at all with the way the business communicated with us.

Here’s an example—

I called a company to order one of their products and I had to enter what I call “the electronic triage system” where I was put on hold and every few minutes was told, “ Please stay on the line, your call is important to us.”

If you are like me, most of the time we hold awhile and then just hang up.

Here are some tips for you.

1. Have a real, live person answering all of your calls.   If you can’t have someone answering the phones, then subscribe to a service where your message says that you will return all calls within one business day.  Then do it.

2. Make sure you clearly understand the customer or prospects needs and priorities.

3. If there is a problem, acknowledge it quickly, apologize and do your best to fix the problem to the customer’s satisfaction.

4. Always keep your word and promises you make to your customers.  When you say you will do something, do it when you said you would do it.

5. Never expect the customer to understand that you are busy or short staffed.  They won’t and actually they shouldn’t have to.

Right now you are probably thinking that this is obvious.  Unfortunately it’s not always practiced.

Without consistent and excellent customer care, customer loyalty is doubtful, especially in this Economy where buyers are also more cautious.

Now more than ever, every business must find ways to differentiate itself from its competition.  Customer service is one way to do that.  Think Tony Hsieh and Zappos.

Let me know your thoughts.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “5 Tips For Making Your Customers/Clients Actually Feel Valued”

1. Jennifer says:

I found the information on your article really informative. I completely understand how your customers do not understand that you are short staffed. It’s all about the NOW! When selling cars(Jeep/Chrysler) years ago I got to learn that first hand. Great article.
    Best,
    Jenn

@Jennifer,

Thanks Jenn. Yes, customers are only concerned with what’s happening now and WIIFM (What’s In It For Me).

2. Thanks for the great tips.

In todays tough economy you have to put an extra effort on customer service.

We offer a free service with our Premier All Natural Walk-in cooler Filters. While we are at the customers location changing the filters, we check for any door leaks, compressor issues and safety problems and report such to the owner. It’s just one extra step that they appreciate.

Thanks,
    Don

@Don Vandenburgh,

Hi Don, extra service always works.

3. Often simple basic and sound customer service practices are not simplistic.

The sound basics you share are missing in many businesses- thank you for reminding us of habits to retain the clients we have the privilege to serve.

Part of marketing is the delivery of “the promise”.

Thanks,

Bruce

@Bruce G. Clinton,

Hi Bruce, well said.

4. Customer Service is the one area that most companies say they are different. They ALL offer excellent customer service. I say that’s just what I would expect from any business I’m dealing with, I think, it’s when they take that customer service to the next level and make me feel “important” and welcomed and don’t give me the run-around when I have an issue or a problem. I can find the same product in 12 different places, but I can only find beyond excellent customer service in 1 place, and that place will have my loyalty forever.

@Norma Serrano,

Hi Norma, you hit the nail on the head. With the oversupply of products and services, we can find the same thing we are looking for almost anywhere else. The difference maker is service.

5. Karl says:

Yes, it does seem obvious, yet the obvious often alludes us. Even for those who know it and practice it, a reminder always helps!

@Karl,
    Karl, I agree.

6. Good Morning Ken,

Customers truly need to feel valued. As someone who works on making websites better so people will stay and actually purchase a product and complete the call to action, I emphasize to my clients that if they keep their users in mind and not focus so much on what they want to say, they can’t help but rank well in search engines and get visitors to convert to sales or clients. Of course there is the art and science of website optimization that goes along with that, but it starts out with your premise here: Make the customer feel valued. If they do, they will trust you and give you their business. Thank you for your post Ken. Bonnie Worthington

@Bonnie Worthington,
    Hi Bonnie, you are welcome! And thanks for your insights.

7. Nelton says:

Customer service is the area in which you can make the differnce with the competition. Great tips.

Nelton, true! And thanks.

8. Nancy Castro says:

I completely agree! In the consulting business, clients expect you to answer at 3am! The great thing is that we do and they very thankful and appreciative!

@Nancy Castro,
    Nancy, 3am? Are you using an answering service, or do you mean you answer your cell phone at 3 am?

9. Jim,
    You’re right, these are obvious tips, and obviously they are not always practiced.

I work hard to be a problem solver for my clients. As I am helping a client put a real estate transaction together, I find that focusing on the needs of a client will yield greater results than focusing on the outcome of a deal.

@Diane Signorelli,
    Diane, I find that almost always it yields better results all around by focusing on the client’s needs. I agree.

10. Michael Brown says:

Great post Ken. I remember years ago when it was acceptable to get back to a client in 24-48hrs. Today we have all this technology available where that is no longer acceptable. I always try to get back personally by the end of that business day at a minimum.

@Michael Brown,
    Hi Michael, isn’t that the truth! It’s the double-edged sword of technology. Computers were supposed to create the paperless office. Now we use more paper than ever. Email was supposed to save us time; instead it eats up time. Now with texting and smart phones added to the mix, people expect to be in touch constantly.

11. Peggy says:

Good points (all five). The one that really hits home is that you should not expect your customer to understand you are busy or short staffed. That’s not their problem, it’s yours.

@Peggy,
    Hi Peggy, yes, the clients are only concerned about their issue.

12. asdf says:

yes it’s good

13. I just couldn’t depart your site prior to suggesting that I actually loved the standard info a person provide in your guests? Is gonna be again continuously in order to check out new posts

14. Ken Varga says:

@Nedra Fernendez, Thamk you, Ken.

15. Im grateful for the article post.Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic.