3 Secrets to succeeding online…

I’m often asked if there are secrets for succeeding online. Here are a few thoughts I’ve put together to help you.

1. Know what your highest payoff activities are. Most of the successful business owners I speak with know exactly what they should be focusing their attention on each day. They know what is going to bring in the most revenue and what their strengths are. That is exactly what I mean by “highest payoff activities.” They know exactly what is going to bring in the most revenue for the least amount of time and money.

The real question you should be asking at this time is, “How do I figure out what my highest pay-off activity is.

You should start by making a list of your STRENGTHS and WEAKNESSES.

Then look at the list you made and determine out of those STRENGTHS and WEAKENESSES, what brings you the most revenue in the shortest amount of time?

Another way to do this is to make a list of your BUSINESS ACTIVITIES (instead of your STRENGTHS and WEAKNESSES) and evaluate how much revenue you made versus the time you spent. This will give you a better idea of what brings you the largest revenue for the least amount of time spent.

1. Now implement and DO your highest pay-off activities. It’s not enough to know what they are. You need to actually DO them. Organize your day around your highest payoff activities. This way you will know that you are spending your time on them.

2. No one wants to work on their weaknesses. What I recommend is that you delegate them to others to do. You want to spend your time strengthening your strengths and outsourcing or dumping your weaknesses.

Why? Because you make more money when you spend most of your time doing your highest pay off activities. You only have 24 hours in a day, so you need to know how best to use that time so you can become the biggest success as possible.

You’ve probably noticed by now that these aren’t specific to the internet. I did this on purpose. If you master the successful habits that work online, you will master those same habits that work in any situation. Especially in your life.

Let me hear what you think of these ideas by commenting below.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

25 Responses to “3 Secrets to succeeding online…”

1. eamon says:

3 Excellent Ideas

@eamon,
    Eamon, thanks for your feedback.

Ken

2. Tina says:

Thanks, very helpful!

@Tina,
    Tina, you are welcome!

Ken

3. I thought this was a very insightful article. Good advice.

@Ilene Richman,

Ilene, glad you found it useful.

Ken

4. Mary Jo says:

This way of thinking helps temendously when it comes to prioritizing your “To Do” list.

@Mary Jo,
    Yes Mary Jo, I agree.

Ken

5. Sara Harper says:

Hi Ken,
    I just returned from our Trump Network conference in Orlando and one of the key takeaways for me is not to confuse activity with accomplishment. Thanks for bringing it home.
    Cheers,
    Sara Harper

@Sara Harper,
    Sara, you are welcome.

Ken

6. Dan H says:

Ken
    Very good. but only if I can do that.

Dan H

@Dan H,
    Hi Dan, you can do it. You don’t have to do everything at once. You can break it down into steps that work for you. You can do one step a week. The first step might be to get a note book to keep this information in. Or, you can create the skeleton of the plan with a mind map. The second step to do a week later would be to make a note in the note book or on the mind map of one strength, one weakness, etc. Doing this will only take a few minutes each week. Then after you have 10 things in each category, you can start analyzing you information for high payoff activities. Even if you set up your schedule to do an activity once every two weeks instead of every week, imagine the difference it could make for you 12 months from now. Don’t try to do it all at once. Remember, the best way to eat an elephant is…one piece at a time.

Ken

7. Chris H. says:

Ken, I like the idea of focusing on my strengths to get a feel for what is working in my life and moving my business ahead.

Thanks for the excellent tips your give each week.

Chris

@Chris H.,
    Hi Chris, you are welcome. The more you do things you are good at, the more you’ll produce and the more money you’ll make. And the more you can have people around you doing more of what they are good at, the higher your income will be.

Ken

8. Andrew Sze says:

Thanks for the reminder.

The problem is little tasks often add up into swarms in my in-basket.

What if, you do find people that can help you but the result from them is less than your expectation, what would you do if your resource is limited?

@Andrew Sze,
    Hi Andrew, that’s why you want to know what your high payoff activities are. When you know what they are, it’s easier to let go of the “little tasks” that end up being busy work, eating up your time, and not returning substantial revenue.

As far as outsourcing to the right people, you should vet them first. You can vet them by giving them a project to do before you hire them and seeing how well they perform.

For instance, about a year ago, we were considering hiring a person as a virtual assistant. What we did was give her tasks to perform that would indicate her level of capability. We had her edit a video and write a blog article about herself. Her performance on those two things let us know that she wasn’t the right candidate.

Don’t make excuses for people you want to hire. If they don’t meet your criteria, accept that and move on to the next candidate.

As a matter of fact, it’s best to take the attitude that your job is to find every reason to not hire the candidate. When you find a candidate for which you can’t find a reason to not hire him/her, you have found the right person for the job.

9. Nelton says:

Hi Ken,
    Fantastic points. It was only last week that we discuss the importance of “high pay-off activities” at a sales meeting.

@Nelton,
    Hi Nelton, great!

Ken

10. Lynne Hague says:

Thank god for your blog! :-) I’m just starting out with self employment on a shoestring budget and your information is better than gold to me! I have much to learn with marketing and customer generation etc. I’m progressing with small steps forward, thanks to brilliant experts like you who share and not just take. Thankyou Ken!

@Lynne Hague,
    Hi Lynne,

You are welcome!

Best of luck to you!

Ken

11. Katrina says:

just reading has been really helpful already.. i hope i can try the tips you recommended soon. thank you for your inputs and will surely follow your blog.

@Katrina,
    Hi Katrina, take one tip at a time and apply it till you make it work. Then systematize it. Once you’ve done that, then implement another tip. That tends to work best.

Ken

12. Rudy says:

I like what Robert Allen said, “If your gas tank is empty, it doesn’t matter which direction you’re headed.” The problem I have is in believing that anything will pay off.

I have to focus on the critical few, which is hard, so as you said above, I need to do what I love doing, which is writing. The problem with that is there are so many of us writers out here that all anyone wants to pay you is peanuts. I read some of the writing that Phillipinos and Indians write, and they need to come up in their knowledge of our English language. They constantly leave off simple ‘ing’ endings, revert ‘the’ to the wrong side of the article, and so forth. Then I’m supposed to believe in their product! I suppose my best forte would be editing. It really bothers me to see errors on the screen or on the printed page, and it’s a constant problem. There are so many schemes out there to make money, and they all sound so delicious. Yet these ‘Gurus’ don’t bother taking the time to insure that their writing is error-free. If it’s such a great thing, than why do you not do a simple spell check, let alone the grammar check?

I get so tired of not doing what I love to do, regardless of what it pays me. There are too many pretty rainbows out here in Internet land. Tenacity seems to be my word for today because I need that tiger tenaciousness that will eventually pay me well because I took the time to perform my artistic duties well.

You asked me to comment, so I did. I love your articles, and your way with people, how you take the time to reply. Thanks. Sorry it took so long to reply. The pretty rainbows got in my way.

@Rudy,
    Rudy, many years ago when one of the big haircut franchises (I don’t want to use their name)opened up across from a neighborhood barber shop offering $3.75 haircuts, the savvy owner put up this sign: “We fix $3.75 haircuts.”

Guess what? It made people think twice about getting the cheaper haircut and he continued to do well.

Maybe you could take a stance like this. Let people know you fix cheap writing jobs…that when they need a job to be done well, that when they can’t afford mistakes, you are the guy they want.